Les Premières Nations
• Canada's policies and treatment of minority peoples have negative and positive legacies
• SYstems of government vary in their respect for human rights and freedoms
• What effects did residential schools have on First Nations families and communities
• Learn about aboriginal diversity in Canada
• First Nation culture (before residential schools) through children's literature
• Education of First Nation children before schools
• Children's rights (First Nation and Syrian Children- a comparison)
• The history and legacy of the residential school system
• Treatment of minority population in Canada and in other societies.
• Regional and international conflict (Syrian conflict)
What is Culture ? Qu'est-ce que la culture?
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT FIRST NATION CULTURE ?
Quelles sont vos connaissances sur la culture des premiers peuples?
Learning about first nation culture - Students' posters
How were first nation children educated before the residential school system began?
The video - Tuktu and the ten thousands fishes explore education of Inuit children before the introduction of residential school.
• Qu'est-ce que je vois? What do I see? (Watch video without sound)
• Tuktu apprend de qui? Who is Tutu learning from ?
• Qu'est-ce qu'il apprend? What is he learning?
• Comment est-ce que Tutu apprend? How is Tutu learning?
Children's rights videos